There is nothing like a good marinade to help take a meal to the next level. Because we eat a lot of chicken in my house, I rely heavily on marinades to infuse flavor into what would otherwise be a boring and bland piece of poultry. With this marinade I blend fresh ingredients like lemon, oregano and rosemary with garlic and Dijon mustard to create a bright yet savory flavoring that goes well with chicken, meat and even lamb. (During the summer when fresh herbs are in full bloom, I oftentimes will add fresh sage to the recipe or swap out rosemary for thyme.) I probably make this marinade with boneless skinless chicken breasts once a week, cooking large batches for lunch leftovers with quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice. This Lemon Tuscan Chicken Marinade clings well to meat and helps to keep it moist.
For this recipe you will need good extra virgin olive oil, lemons, Dijon mustard, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and oregano (or any other herb of choice), kosher salt and black pepper. (During the colder months when I can’t get access to some fresh herbs, I will use a tablespoon or so of Herb de Provence instead)
This marinade is as simple as just combining all the ingredients into a bowl and whisking together until emulsified. Pour the mixture over freshly cleaned chicken breasts (or other meat of choice) and marinate for 4-6 hours in the fridge.
Once ready you can grill outside – my personal favorite – or sauté in a skillet. (Make sure to season both sides of the marinated poultry/meat with kosher salt and pepper before you throw on the grill.) And there you go – a great tasting dish that you can pair with almost anything!
This recipe will marinate 6-8 large chicken breasts. Sounds like a lot but don’t worry it will go fast!!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until emulsified
- Pour marinade over cleaned boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on large plate
- Spoon a little extra marinade over breasts
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill (or sauté) for 4-6 minutes on each side
- Remove when chicken breasts are mostly firm but not completely stiff to the touch, 8-12 minutes total cook time depending on the size of the chicken breasts
- Allow to rest covered for 3-5 minutes
- Serve warm