Well it’s Football Playoff Time and everyone is looking for the perfect gameday snack to eat with friends and family while watching your favorite teams fight for Super Bowl bragging rights. GO PATS!!! 🙂 Although no one can deny that the classic favorites of pizza, wings and chili are the most popular and beloved crowd pleasers; you have to admit that with all those delicious indulgences comes the guilt trip that your mind takes you on for the remainder of the day – or maybe that’s just me 🙂
That just got me thinking – on a complete side note – how annoying is it when you vote to add a semi-healthy option to the double cheese pizza just ordered but you get outvoted by everyone else…drives me crazy! But that’s a different post for a different day…:)
Well my friends with my Healthy Turkey Breast Tacos with Spicy Homemade Seasoning you’ll never have to have that mind battle again! Smothered in spicy ancho chili powder, smoky Spanish paprika, earthy cumin, and hot red pepper flakes, these puppies pack a major punch! As a finishing touch, I add some sweetly spicy chipotles in adobo to add even more flavor depth and send these tacos into the next Stratosphere – DID I MENTION THAT THESE TACOS ARE MOUTHWATERINGLY HOT HOT HOT!!!
As for the Spicy Homemade Dry Seasoning, it’s so amazing that I usually make it in large batches and sprinkle it on any food that I want to add some spicy kick to! This homemade seasoning is so incredibly versatile and is great on roasted veggies, salmon, chicken, turkey, as well as a juicy thick cut of steak…So delicious!
To make my Spicy Homemade Seasoning you will need ancho chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, granulated onion, smoked Spanish paprika, ground mustard seed, cumin, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper. This seasoning can be prepared ahead of time, stored in an airtight container and kept in the pantry for up to a year.
In order to make my Healthy Turkey Breast Tacos with Spicy Homemade Seasoning you will need my seasoning blend above as well as…1-7 oz can of chipotles in adobo, corn starch, and water. This recipe ratio is used for 3 pounds of ground turkey breast.
If you’re a lover of spicy food these Healthy Turkey Breast Tacos with Spicy Homemade Seasoning will not disappoint! And once you try my Spicy Homemade Seasoning, you’ll never have the need to grab one of those pre-made taco blends EVER AGAIN!
Now let’s make some yummy tacos!!!!!!
- FOR THE SPICY TACO DRY SEASONING:
- ¼ cup ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 4 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4-5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4-5 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- FOR HEALTHY TURKEY BREAST TACOS:
- ¾-1 - 7 ounce can chipotles in adobo, puréed or finely minced (Brand: La Morena)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1¼ - 1½ cups water
- 3 pounds ground turkey breast
- In a large heavy-bottomed cast iron pot, heat 2 teaspoons of safflower oil over medium-high heat until shimmering then add the ground turkey breast. Season the meat with salt and pepper and sear and cook the meat until browned and cooked all the way through - you should see browned bits formed on the bottom of the pot and the meat should no longer be pink, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add 3 heaping tablespoons of Spicy Homemade Seasoning (about 4 correctly measured tablespoons) to the cooked meat and stir for 2 minutes until mixed thoroughly.
- Turn the heat down to simmer then add the corn starch to the meat. Mix the corn starch in until evenly combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the puréed (or finely minced) chipotles in adobo and stir to combine the ingredients evenly.
- Add the water and stir, making sure to scrape up all the delicious browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot - it may take a couple minutes for the bits to release.
- Allow the meat to simmer on low until the liquid in the pot thickens to your desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.