The two big reasons why I absolutely love this Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Protein Shake are because (1) it contains Peanut Butter and (2) it is an incredibly healthy yet still hearty meal – notice I mentioned the peanut butter point first 🙂
So I admit it, I have a crazy obsession with peanut butter – the thick nutty creamy flavor is mouthwatering and the way it melts in your mouth is heavenly. (Do I dare say that I love it more than chocolate???)
So in my never-ending attempt to come up with yet another healthy way to eat peanut butter, I created this wonderfully simple and delicious protein shake that you can drink for breakfast, post workout, or just any time you need to get your peanut butter fix – that last point may be just for me!
Sometimes getting back to basics is best and this Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Protein Shake does just that. Almond milk and a touch of peanut butter help to create the shake’s smooth creamy consistency while 2 scoops of peanut butter (or chocolate) flavored protein powder gives you tons of needed protein for energy, muscle health and recovery. Freshly ground flaxseed is also added for their omega-3 benefits as well as to help add a little more texture to the shake.
Once in a while I will even add half of a ripe banana to the mix, further enhancing the creaminess and adding that oh-so-loved bananas with peanut butter flavor to the shake.
Like I said, this delightfully healthy peanut butter protein shake takes no time at all to make, just add the almond milk, peanut butter, flavored whey protein powder, ground flaxseed and ice to a high-powered blender. Purée all of the ingredients until velvety smooth, then pour into your favorite cup and enjoy. Can’t get any easier than that!
- 1 cup almond milk (brand: Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 tablespoon natural store-bought or homemade peanut butter (can sub for almond butter)
- 2 scoops (approx ½ cup) peanut butter gluten-free whey protein powder (Brand: ProtiZyme Protein Peanut Butter Flavor)
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly ground flaxseed
- 1½ cups ice cubes
- OPTIONAL: ½ ripe banana
- Combine almond milk, peanut butter, protein powder, ground flaxseed, and ice into a high-powered blender. Blend until pureed and smooth.
- OPTIONAL: Add ½ banana to the ingredients before blending - puree with other ingredients.